Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Another one slipped through the hands of a second hand shop. More often then not I take the sale even when I am told there is nothing there. There usually always is. I know I say it over and over again. This time although I was getting worried, Cyndi and I had combed through this home with a fine tooth comb - nothing came to the surface except for a ghost but that's a tale for another October night. So although it was all very nice we still felt there had to be something. After two days we resigned ourselves to the fact that maybe there isn't always something there. Setting up the photos today to get the sale online I spent sometime enjoying the beauty of a water color we found that had fallen by the looks of things years ago behind a cabinet. It was a watercolor and it was agreeably signed Fred Cozzens 97.

Well what is Google for if not to look up artist during a coffee break...There he was, a in demand recognized artist from the late 1800's. I started calling galleries, I knew we were onto something when offered $4000.00 sight unseen after a five minute conversation. Next phone call was to the executor who had told me previously, "Just get rid of everything". Needless to say she was quite pleased and agreeable to a  new plan for its sale. "By the way do you know anything about this painting?" She was quiet and then proceeded to tell me her husband would frequent estate-sales and second hand shops, that one she was sure came from a shop in Massachusetts, "He never spent much more then a couple of dollars."
Am I sad to see it go and not be in a sale? - sure. But another find and that's what I look for, Cyndi and I are the Indiana Jones of the estate sale business, Always looking something that doesn't /shouldn't exist in your average home. Maybe we should by the Fedoras in the Huntsburg sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment